List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] New KEdit ready, please review
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-26 13:26:01

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:54:40AM +0100, David Faure wrote:
> > It doesn't work for the texteditor stuff though because what's contained in
> > interfaces/ktexteditor are no real interfaces but base classes that
> > require linkage against a libktexteditor, which in turn links against
> > kparts. (that sucks, if you ask me :)
>
> Ah, took me 2 times to understand this. Ok. Well, isn't that like
> BrowserExtension, i.e. we have the problem of the moc-generated files,
> whose symbols shouldn't be duplicated ?

The difference to BrowserExtension I see is that in the texteditor
situation I see no real point in there being base classes instead of
pure abstract interfaces (with BE it's needed actually because of
the signals) . If it's for the duplicated API for the dcop interfaces
then I think this belongs into a separate support library apps can
optionally use. But implementing and using the interfaces IMHO shouldn't
_require_ linkage against a libktexteditor and therefore libkparts
(I think that's a design flaw, and in fact it prevents Mickael from
using it in kdeui) .

> There isn't such a problem in the regexpeditor interface, right ?

Yep, no problem with the regxpeditor.

Simon