List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Time tracking possible via KDE?
From:       Andrew Sutton <ansutton () sep ! com>
Date:       2001-11-25 16:44:22

On Sunday 25 November 2001 10:51 am, Sean Pecor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone provide insight on whether or not the following is possible:
>
> To develop a semi-automatic KDE time tracking tool that monitors window
> titles and uniform resource locators?

uh oh... dangerous ground here :) actually i've been thinking of something
similar for some time now too - but mostly for software development time
tracking.

> Here are my thoughts:
> <snip>

it might be a little too much to try to watch everything. i think the only
way that could be accomplished was if every application emitted notifications
on certain familar actions. open, close, save, or just in general, working.
even still, you'd end up with a list of fine grain events that can't
necessarily be tied together into an accurate picture of the users day.

something alot simpler would be to tie something into the screen saver
mechanism that simply notes when actived and deactivated. the actual time
worked could just be time spent at the computer with the screen saver
deactivated.

you could then tie that into something like you were talking about to help
describe work activities. actually, maybe it could be configured to
understand that certain files on the disk are related to a specific project,
so it could automatically tie in some project code.

> Does this make sense? I think this type of functionality would be a big
> deal for many consultants. I could think of other ways to utilize the
> application, nothing which I'd use personally:
> <snip>

mmm... i don't think many people like monitoring too much - at least for
work, but the application you're talking about could be a useful tool for
time management.

Andrew Sutton
ansutton@sep.com