List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New file dialog
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2001-11-23 11:34:12

On Friday 23 November 2001 11:28, Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> > To me, "My Documents" sounds like a blatant copy (or rip off) of Windows
>
> The same can be said for many KDE features...

So if a bad action is done twice, it becomes good?

> Doesn't it matter that it will probably help many users ?

I think just Documents would be equally easy to understand. I don't like "My
Documents" because it's just sounds strange to me. It sounds as if the files
belong to the computer, but they are not the computer's files, they are mine.
So "Your Documents" would be even better. Working on a computer is sort of a
conversation, and then it should say "here are your documents" instead of
"here are my doucuments".
Another thing is that "My" hype: just putting "my" in front of everything,
like MySql, My Documents, My Computer, My Music, My Blah, My Foo, ... It's
just a dumb marketing idea that no one should follow.

> What's the main goal of KDE, being useful, or being different from Windows
> just for the sake of it ?

I think one goal should be not stupidly copying things just for the sake of
being the same as Windows.