List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Getting a string from the user in a KIOSlave
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-16 23:26:55

On Friday 16 November 2001 07:42 am, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> This seems to defeat the modularity of a KIO::Slave. If reading this
> information from the user is necessary to the transfer process, then every
> application that uses the KIO::Slave would have to duplicate the same code
> InputDialog code. I'll describe my application and perhaps you can give me
> a better solution.
> I'm writing a KIO::Slave for the Nomad Jukebox (an mp3 player with a 6 gig
> HD). The NJB uses a system of Album/Artist/Title to organize the
> pseudo-directory structure. So, this information is required for a copy to
> the device. I extract the information from ID3 tags if possible, but if the
> tags aren't present the operation fails. I could return a COULD_NOT_READ
> and leave it up to the user to fill the ID3 information in, but it seems to
> me it would be much more useful if I could pop up a simple dialog box with
> three text inputs. Particularly since this information is usually readily
> available from the filename and the user simply has to select the proper
> text from filename label and paste it into the proper field in the dialog
> box. One way may be the "clean" way, but it's about as useful as dirt. Any
> ideas?

The dirty way: Write a small aplication that requests the information and
prints the results to stdout and call this from within the slave with e.g.
popen()

The over-engineered (but slightly faster) way: Create a kdedmodule that pops
up the dialog and call this module from your slave via dcop.

Cheers,
Waldo