List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Getting a string from the user in a KIOSlave
From:       Shaun Jackman <sjackman () home ! com>
Date:       2001-11-16 15:42:52

This seems to defeat the modularity of a KIO::Slave. If reading this
information from the user is necessary to the transfer process, then every
application that uses the KIO::Slave would have to duplicate the same code
InputDialog code. I'll describe my application and perhaps you can give me a
better solution.
I'm writing a KIO::Slave for the Nomad Jukebox (an mp3 player with a 6 gig
HD). The NJB uses a system of Album/Artist/Title to organize the
pseudo-directory structure. So, this information is required for a copy to
the device. I extract the information from ID3 tags if possible, but if the
tags aren't present the operation fails. I could return a COULD_NOT_READ and
leave it up to the user to fill the ID3 information in, but it seems to me it
would be much more useful if I could pop up a simple dialog box with three
text inputs. Particularly since this information is usually readily available
from the filename and the user simply has to select the proper text from
filename label and paste it into the proper field in the dialog box. One way
may be the "clean" way, but it's about as useful as dirt. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shaun