List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RENDER (Was: Re: SVG (Was: Konqueror\'s GUI management.))
From:       Manuel Amador <amadorm () zeus ! usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2001-11-15 16:50:32

Render... hmmm.  if the system doesn\'t have render extension then transparency
is not possible.  You could, though, dim the images\' colors or make pixels of
the image transparent in a pattern... that wouldn\'t look so bad...

Quoting Nikolas Zimmermann <wildfox@kde.org>:

>  On Monday 12 November 2001 21:25, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
>  >
>  > On Monday 12 November 2001 03:08 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>  > > On Monday 12 November 2001 08:39 am, Manuel Amador \\(Rudd-O\\)
> wrote:
>  > > > SVG would be spectacular.  The only ones winning on us in that
> aspect
>  > > > are the Nautilus team guys.
>  > > >
>  > > > How difficult would it be?
>  > >
>  > > It should be simple. You just need to add a flag to the icon themes
> that
>  > > says \"this theme uses svg\", and then you need to adjust the
> icon-loader
>  > > to load .svg files when such a theme is selected. Qt 3 has native
> SVG
>  > > support.
>  > >
>  > > See kicontheme and kiconloader in kdelibs/kdecore.
>  >
>  > I think Niko added SVG support to KIconLoader over the weekend.
>
> correct, I have a Patch here
>
> the problem is that you would need RENDER for the transparency icons
>  i could fallback on a white instead of a transparent background for
> icons
>  but that would look awful on non-RENDER systems
>
> That\'s why i didn\'t post the patch
>
> Bye
>   Bye
>    Niko
>  >
>  > Cheers
>  > - -ian reinhart geiser
>  > - --
>  >
>  > :-- Ian Reinhart Geiser --:
>
> --
> Nikolas Zimmermann
> wildfox@kde.org

   Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
   http://www.usm.edu.ec/~amadorm/

Jefferson then declared the flaw in the notion of copyright as property. Unlike
tangible property, ideas and expressions are not susceptible to natural
scarcity. As Jefferson wrote of copyright, \\\"Its peculiar character, too, is
that
no one possesses the less, because every other possesses the whole of it. He who
receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine;
as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me.\\\"

Some might respond \\\"but we must do something to prevent piracy\\\". Maybe that\\\'s
true, but that \\\"something\\\" should not be reaching into the office of innocent
third parties and messing with their technology. Let me give an analogy of child
abuse.

We all abhor child abuse. We all agree that all reasonable steps should be taken
to prevent child abuse. But would we stand for legislation mandating video
survelence cameras in every room of every house and business in the country.
That would certainly prevent most child abuse. But look what it would do to the
lives of the 99% of us who don\\\'t abuse children.