List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt 2.3.2 and KDE_2_2_BRANCH
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-14 9:14:21

On Tuesday 13 November 2001 19:35, Michael Brade wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 November 2001 18:58, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Using the latest Qt2-release with my KDE it seems that menus are a little
> > bit restive. You can't press an ESC-key or klick somewhere else on the
> > desktop to close an open menu: you are forced to press the icon which
> > "produces" the menu. This is annoying on a K-Menu or Konqis
> > bookmark-toolbar.
> > (I read about some problems with latest Qt-libs and popup-menus on the
> > avifile homepage, maybe this was a similar problem?)
> >
> > Can anybody second this?
>
> Yes. And it's even the same with Qt-3.0. I sent a bugreport to qt-bugs some
> weeks ago already but got no answer.

Can you tell me what exactly is going wrong for you? It works fine for me
(both 2.3.2 and 2.2 branch and 3.0).

The basic problem was, that kglobalaccel had a really nasty bug, that showed
up when we changed the way popups are handled in 2.3.2 a bit. popups grab the
keyboard (that's the only way to ensure proper behaviour), but kglobalaccel
ungrabbed them again. After that they wouldn't work correctly anymore.

One of the problems is, that KDE does a lot of X11 magic in some places, and
things might break, when Qt changes their internal X11 event handling a
little. That's one of the reasons we should try not to use too many direct
X11 calls in KDE.

Cheers,
Lars