List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Some KTipDialog and KImageEffect issues
From:       Ralf Schmelter <ralfs () heineken ! chemie ! uni-dortmund ! de>
Date:       2001-11-13 9:57:27

Hello!

Recently I've stumbled over an inconvenience with KTipDialog, because it
changes the active group of the applications KConfig object, which should
probably avoided (btw. the same happend, when I used Mosfets High
Performance Liquid style).

Quite unrelated, I am missing the (in my eyes) proper handling of the
alpha channel KImageEffect::blend/KImageEffect::blendToLower. While the
red, green and blue values of the resulting image are correctly
calculated, the alpha channel is not. For example, when both pixels at
the same position in the source images are transparent, the pixel in the
resulting image is not. Of course this is also true for semitransparent
images. So you can't use the resulting image in another blend operation.
While I'm not sure if KImageEffect::blend was intended for such use and I
know that it is not acceptable to change it's behaviour, I find it quite
handy to have a 'correct' blend function and the needed  source code
modifications are small. So maybe these functions  (with the 'correct'
handling of the alpha channel) could be added to KImageEffect.

Ralf Schmelter

--
Ralf Schmelter
Physikalische Chemie 2a