List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror's GUI management.
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-11-12 22:34:56

On Monday 12 November 2001 15:13, Janis Gailis wrote:
|   Spasibo za otvet, Vadim.

wow, I should start learning Scandinavian languages!..
"Pozhaluista", so far.  ;-)

|   There are not so much details about the project yet,
|   since it has been started not so long ago.
|
|   In this case the Konqueror will be run on low
|   resolution devices (like TV monitors) and that
|   is why an atention need to be paid to the size
|   of the icons.
|
|   Actually I want to make the interface of the Konqueror
|   as independent as possible from the windows manager.
|   In the test environment I am running GNOME.

You may want to run IceWM, than. IMO it's better than SawFish/Gnome for such
purposes.
Other alternative WMs I can recommend are EpiWm
(http://epiwm.sourceforge.net) and Sapphire (http://sapphire.sourceforge.net)
AFAIK IceWm is used in some Embedded projects.
But for your purposes, I believe AeWM (and its derivative, SWM) should be ok.
50K of executable size says all on its own :))
(I did testing of about 50 WM's, so these are winners so far; of course, KWin
rules in terms of Plugin and Theming support, plus support for NetWM
specifications)

|   Using only the most necessary KDE libraries, has been
|   a requirement in my case. I have been looking on the
|   source code of Konqueror, trying to find the following:
|
|   	- how to run Konqueror in full screen modus by
|   	default (not only after clicking Ctrl-Shift-F)

[...]

It seems that your requirements are similar to Kiosk-mode browser, which
doesn't surprises me - as both TV and Kiosks are in fact "paged" media.
Martijn Klingens (on kfm-devel list) was mentioning that he is working on
Kiosk application - may be, he can help you with some of your questions.

As about big icons - SVG icons, rendered anti-aliased over transparent
background is IMO what you need.
Don't know though how achievable transparent background is.

|   I am not an active user of KDE, so I do not have opinions
|   on that issues yet, but I am interested in looking at your
|   themes anyway. Diesel-Blue and Mac-blue appeal
|   most to me:-)

Thanks!

--

Vadim Plessky