List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror double-bidi?
From:       Bryce Nesbitt <bryce () obviously ! com>
Date:       2001-11-09 17:56:58

Lars Knoll wrote:

> On Friday 09 November 2001 18:29, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > Moe Elzubeir wrote:
> > > This is just so those involved are aware. Konqueror seems as if it is
> > > applying the bidi algorithm twice (or at least more than once). This
> > > wasn't the case until qt3.0 release. I am not sure what changed, but
> > > it's no good for us bidi-needing rtl-reading users ;)
> >
> > It's true.  Test at:
> >       http://www.obviously.com/browsers/
> >       http://www.obviously.com/browsers/iso-8859-1_unicode.html
> >
> > Konqueror has a more complex bidi job than QT.  Or, at
> > least it needs to do some preprocessing of the assortment of endodings
> > before it is safe to hand off to QT's bidi.
>
> The main thing is, that there are also visually encoded hebrew pages around
> (www.haaretz.co.il as a prominent example). This is one of the reasons khtml
> has to do bidi processing itself. The current solution I have now implemented
> in lates khtml is to bypass Qt's BiDi algorithm for html rendering and use
> khtmls.
>
> > QT3 also radically changed the way fonts work.  QT now makes every font
> > a fake unicode font.  QT compares the Unicode character ranges and notices
> > "hey, this seems to be Hebrew", then asks for a system font to match, e.g.
> > "iso-8859-8". There are about a dozen such mappings.  Try "kcharselect" to
> > see this in action.
>
> Yes. In my oppinion a great advantage. The application developer finally
> doesn't have to worry about charsets anymore. Qt does it all for them, and
> all they ever have to learn is the concept of QString being an abstract
> string object, that can be painted.

Main disadvantage is predicability.  Selecting "Times" no longer gives you
times, it gives you a mix of every font on your system.

Selecting "dingbats" or some random language font (e.g. ancient greek)
often gives you no symbols from that font -- every glyph gets substituted away.

			---

Partially for this reason I feel that Konqueror needs to let me
specify which font I want for which encoding, despite QT's hiding the
issue:

	For		Use font
	iso-8859-8	Arial Unicode MS
	iso-8859-2	ClearlyU