List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Plugins in Kinkatta!
From:       Benjamin Meyer <icefox () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2001-11-07 21:44:47

After reading KC KDE #24 with the mention of how many apps are getting plugin
support I thought I might add that as of that last weekend Kinkatta (Kaim for
those that don't already know) supports Plugins.  (Note how we released rock
solid Kinkatta 1.0 first and then added plugin suport :) So far I have made a
rot13 plugin (easily adapted to your favorite crypto choice), a tic tac toe
game (created a base class for games, thus using tic tac toe to show it off),
and a half finished (to be finished today) away scheduler ( i.e. from 3-4 on
mondays it will automaticly put your away message to "At math lab" etc).  It
is all in cvs for anyone to play around with and make plugins.  Anyone that
writes up a cool plugin(s) with get them included with the standard dist of
Kinkatta.  Here is a list of ideas that we have collected over the last 6
months while waiting for 1.0

Plugins:
-crypt
-festival (text to speach )
-Bablefish (translate messages on the fly!)
-A plugin that replaces [square bracketed text] with a link to the
corresponding Everything2 node.
-Eliza or any other bot...
-Uptime (they send you the message /uptime and it automaticly sends back your
uptime.)
-Away schedule
-File Transfer
-Auto Plugin Loading.
-Any turn based game...

Kinkatta is located on sourceforge (alas Kit beat me to kde cvs) and can be
accessed at kinkatta.sourceforge.net

The 1.1 release will contain the new plugin code once that base clases have
been fully thought out (i.e. end of this week :) and will hopefully dum up
some developer interest.

Questions, comments etc can be sent to the Kinkatta mailing list:
kinkatta-developer@lists.sourceforge.net
-Benjamin Meyer
Lead Developer etc...