List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CVS HEAD reminder / 3.0 feature plan / time schedule
From:       Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero () redhat ! de>
Date:       2001-11-06 10:35:37

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Dirk Mueller wrote:

> > Umm, there is still a serious problem with QT regarding Anti Aliasing fonts,
> > which simply won't disable the AA at all. Sure, we can compile QT-3 with Xft
> > disabled, but the end user won't, and the packagers will compile it with - so
> > it is IMHO a MAJOR problem with QT, so I really don't know how can we go with
> > 1 beta unless the trolltech guys will fix this ASAP..
>
> What problems do you have with Xft ?

There are quite a few problems with Xft. Since there's no nice free
monospaced font out there (at least none that I'm aware of; if you have
any, please let me know) and Xft can't handle bitmap fonts, konsole looks
like shit if Xft can't be turned off.

Also, Xft is horribly slow on some graphics hardware (try running Xft with
a good old Trident VGA card - since hardware acceleration isn't possible,
watch the CPU load going through the roof when using antialiasing).

LLaP
bero