List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Getting rid of yes/no (was: Re: Ideas for kde3 part II)
From:       Mark Deneen <deneen () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-11-01 22:58:02

aleXXX wrote:

>On Thu 01 Nov 01 02:38, Mark Deneen wrote:
>

>>Not all actions will result in a "Don't Quit" situation.  I always know
>>what cancel means, and it is always the last button in a dialog.
>>
>>I don't actually have to read anything, and I know I won't do something
>>I don't intend to do. In fact, I don't even have to fully read anything,
>>just scan for a word that looks like cancel.
>>
>>-M
>>

>This all sounds good, but in the special situation when closing an app and
>the app asks whether to save the changes, I also often wonder whether cancel
>means "cancel saving and cancel closing the app" or whether it only means
>"cancel this dialog and then proceed with closing the program".
>
>The problem here is probably that this are two actions (saving and closing),
>so it can be ambigous whether the cancel applies to both or only to the first.

Cancel should cancel closing, unless it is being closed during shutdown
by SM.

If I close the application, and it asks me a question about saving a
file, and I say "Cancel", no harm is done if the application close is
canceled.   The application stays open, and I can try to close it again.
 This time, I read the message more carefully.  :-)

Cancel should never lose data, and should return the application to the
state it was in before the event which caused the dialog.

-M