List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Attention: Web Browser Upgrade Required to View MSN.com
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () starpower ! net>
Date:       2001-10-27 9:13:41

On Friday 26 October 2001 14:44, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Friday 26 October 2001 03:14 pm, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> > So, it seems that Konqueror is the only browser at a moment (except MS
> > IE) which can browse MSN.com.
> > // and I think that we should write about this in KDE 2.2.2 release
> > notes. (I was not abled to get through with Opera, even faking as MS IE
> > 5.0 in settings)
> > Congratulations to all people who were participating in developemnt and
> > testing of "custom UA" for Konq! Task was done really well, I would say -
> > *EXCELLENT*
>
> We can install a kio_httprc file with a MS IE user agent setting for
> microsoft sites. Then 2.2.2 can work out of the box on those sites.

Please let us not do that.  It will only end up helping them since they will count
any konuqeror user as a Microsoft OS/browser user.  Moreover, I actually think
it is good this happened because people have ignored it for a very long time and
something that has a gret potential for destroying the web as we know it.  This
way more people would come to understand why it is important to adhere to set
standards when designing web pages.  Anyways, IMHO playing hide and seek game
with them by attempting to make this work out of the box using this a hackish way
is a mistake.

Regards,
Dawit A.