List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OT: Re: Suspend/halt at KDE shutdown - should it be added?
From:       Paul Campbell <paul () verifarm ! com>
Date:       2001-10-24 7:50:49

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 01:51 pm, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> And ACPI is the new power managment standard not supported in older laptops
> and not yet working on newer. With a 2.4.3 I wouldn't even try. With 2.4.12
> it can power off your maschine, but it can't suspend/resume.

and for the record - ACPI (what works of it - not suspend and resume yet)
works under KDE 3.* at the moment - basicly just battery status - I'll add
new stuff as the acpi people get it up and running. At the moment I'd still
recomend APM (to use APM suspend under KDE you need to have the tools
installed, you don't need the daemon, but the setup screen will tell you how
to make the apm utility setuid so you can have KDE do suspend for you).

Note: IMHO many APM implementations are suspect - suspend works wonderfully
reliably on my laptop (provided the disk is idle at the time) - on others it
doesn't come back reliably, or comes back leaving the screen in the wrong
mode (later Xs try to work in this area), etc etc You have to experiment with
yours and see if it's functional - there are a bunch of kernel flags you can
monkey with too to try and get around various buggy BIOS's

KDE's support of suspend simply consists of asking the system to do it - any
bad stuff that happens is almost certainly the fault of the BIOS

	Paul Campbell
	paul@taniwha.com