List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Language bindings
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-10-23 10:35:42

On Tuesday 23 October 2001 1:39 am, Chua Chee Wee wrote:
> ;o) Thanks Richard. I believe we've corresponded before sometime in Apr
> or May this year.
Yes indeed - hi Chee Wee..

> I'd like to know how those bindings were built. Were they built manually
> or were they built automatically? If they were built automatically, I'd
> like to take the scripts involved and run it on KDE 2.2, etc.
They use a hacked version of kdoc to generate them automatically. I keep any
manual edits I need to make as a patch, so the next time I regenerate the
bindings, I can just reapply that patch. The C bindings wrap about 800
classes, 13 000 methods with 200k LOC of C/C++ generated.

I would like to tidy up the kdoc code, call it something like 'kbindgen' and
combine the C/Objective-C/Java bindings generation into the one tool. That's
why I didn't check that in last night, the code isn't 'secret', and it works
- it just looks a bit of a mess.

I haven't contacted the kdoc author, Sirtaj Singh Kang to see what he thinks
yet. Although the code could perhaps go into the ordinary kdoc as a patch -
generating an api is just another output format for a documentation tool like
kdoc. But my perl isn't nearly as well written as Sirtaj's stuff, and it also
does something which kdoc wasn't intended to do - parse methods down to the
argument level, and uses a (hard coded) symbol table.

I have C bindings for Qt 2.3.0 and KDE 2.2 already done. I didn't get them
checked in for KDE 2.2.1 because I hit a weird dynamic linking/PIC problem
with the Objective-C bindings, which I couldn't solve. I'll send them to you,
along with the current kdoc C++ -> C source converter.

-- Richard