#if Joerg Walter > On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 08:02:11PM +0100, Rik Hemsley wrote: > > > > What would work *very* well, although that is even less trivial, is to have > > > "decent" transparency - say 50% for all windows, but make all non-foreground > > > windows out-of-focus (ie. pass through a slight low-pass filter, like 5 point > > > weighted average, or similar). That would work miracles, and I would buy a > > > 24-pack of decent beer of choice to anybody who does that. > > > > We tried to do something like this last year, where unfocussed windows > > were 'greyed out' (contrast reduced). > > > > It looked beautiful, and made it much more obvious which was the active > > window, also reducing distraction of the eye. > > > > I don't know what happened to this. Perhaps M. Ettrich knows, I think > > I was talking to him about it. > > This sounds VERY interesting. Suppose I would try to add something like > that (I like the low-pass filter idea), wouldn't it be easiest to do it > in QWidget? I didn't do KDE/Qt programming for a long time, and I don't > know if I have time for that now, but just to estimate the neccessary work, > how were it done best? (Not counting the 'real' transparency stuff, which > we have to wait for) I don't think a filter is called for - it would require a huge amount of resources. A QWidget can be in one of three states - active, inactive, and disabled. Hmm, if you set up the palette with qtconfig, it kind of works.. inactive windows can have different colours for their widgets... But either qtconfig is buggy, or I just don't understand it. I can't quite get it to use the palettes I set. Anyway, the inactive palette is very similar to the active, by default. I think we can make KDE set the inactive palette to look slightly 'greyed out' (less contrast - not like 'disabled') and we have the nice effect of inactive windows being less 'obvious'. Rik >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<