List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Which development tools do you use ?
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-17 22:23:24

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 05:14 pm, Malte Starostik wrote:
> Am Wednesday 17 October 2001 23:43 schrieb Olaf Hartig:
> > On Wednesday 17 October 2001 12:35, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > > [...] I want to see coloured output (from colorgcc)  [...]
> >
> > Where do I get colorgcc?
>
> It's a perl script that is run instead of gcc, executes gcc with all the
> args and colourizes the output, i.e. errors and warnings. Have a look if it
> comes with your distribution, if not, get a better distro ;=}
> Seriously, AFAIK it's available somewhere on gnu.org, at least Mandrake and
> Debian include it.

it's useful for the STL, where each error goes like this:

mystlfile.cpp:666: undefined variable template class
std::stack<this_and_that<class vector> *bleh_bleh_bleh<>
template<deque<this_and_that> class
this_has_lots_of_underscores_and_goes_on_and_on> foreach<> unsigned> auto
stl_is_hell

so colorgcc makes eat easy to recognize the start of the error.  Of course,
we use Qt, and each line is simple, like:

myqtlfile:777: undefined variable class QStack<unsigned>

so colorgcc doesn't seem necessary :)

-Charles