On Monday 15 October 2001 20:44, Austad, Jay wrote: > I posted this to the kde3alpha list, but I think this may be a better forum > for it: > > The new version of QT adds hardware accelerated alpha channel support. > Since KDE3 will use the latest version of QT, would it be possible to place > a slider on the title bar of every application which would allow one to > change the whole app from 0-100% opacity? That way, I can sit and browse > sites with a semi-transparent konqueror, and still watch what is going on > in windows behind it. A mod like this would be sweet eye-candy, but also > quite useful from a productivity standpoint (since I routinely have about > 20 windows open, or more). > > Thoughts? Here we're working with eye movements and visual perception in general. Based on how the vision works, and in short: a very bad idea. It will be almost useless - the visual clutter would be hard to manage, and to avoid clutter effect the transparency of the foreground window would need to be always at 10-30%, not more and that makes the transparency almost useless. What would work *very* well, although that is even less trivial, is to have "decent" transparency - say 50% for all windows, but make all non-foreground windows out-of-focus (ie. pass through a slight low-pass filter, like 5 point weighted average, or similar). That would work miracles, and I would buy a 24-pack of decent beer of choice to anybody who does that. Cheers, Kuba >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<