List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Why kde 2.2.2 ?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-10-11 19:47:43

On Thursday 11 October 2001 16:15, aleXXX wrote:
|   On Thu 11 Oct 01 21:36, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > |   Well, 4000 minus the fixed bugs I think.
|   > |   So, approx. only 1500 to 2000 ;-)
|   >
|   > 900 open bugs for KHTML and 290 for KJS.
|   >
|   > I would say it's twice the number of open bugs for these packages
|   > comparing to the time of KDE 2.1 release. (there were around 400 KHTML
|   > and 120 KJS bugs at the time of 2.1beta2 release)
|
|   Well, this doesn't mean that  we doubled our number of bugs, but the
| number of reports for the same bug.

I think it means that "bug fixing (closing) rate for KHTML and KJS was lower
that bug reporting rate against these packages"
you can decode this equation in different ways:
* number of KDE/Konq users increased significantly after 2.1 release, and
users report much more bugs (than developers can fix)
or
* users report the same number of bugs, but closing rate decreased
or
* Konq is so good that number of outstanding bugs is minor. And these
outstanding 1190 bugs are last ones :))

Any of these interpretations (except last one which is a joke) doesn't say
about quality of product (KDE/Konq, in particular)
As of curiosity, you can compare KDE(KHTML+KJS) numbers (900+290) with
Mozilla:
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/describekeywords.cgi
in particluar, there are
 425 bugs for CSS1 - http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=css1
 336 bugs for CSS2 - http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=css2
 229 DOM1/DOM2 bugs
and 5231 critical (crash) bugs!

So, may be, number of KDE bugs is too low? ;-)
BTW: I always was wondering about bug numbering for Mozilla. Do they really
processed over 100 000 bugs? (and closed most of them?)

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)