List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: whatever happenned to Iconfiy?
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-08 22:07:12

#if Joshua Spoerri
> What led kde to support only the microsoft style taskbar [...]

> Besides following microsoft, is there a reason for the current situation?

1. The taskbar concept existed a _long_ time before Microsoft adopted
   it. Perhaps the first time _you_ saw it was in Windows 95. Personally
   I've been using it ever since I first used twm, and years before
   that in slightly different forms on other systems.

2. When using a taskbar, you can use desktop icons for other things,
   like files. KDesktop gives your root window the same capabilities
   as a konqueror pane open at a directory.

3. The KDE taskbar is always visible (unless you configure it
   differently.) This means you can see which tasks are running and
   you can switch between them easily. Alt-Tab is great for switching
   between 2 or 3 tasks without taking your hands from the keyboard,
   but if you have many tasks running, it becomes unwieldy. When
   I'm using Gimp, I find I need the taskbar.

4. A taskbar provides a different visual distinction between running
   tasks and tasks which may be started. This distinction is not only
   in appearance, but also in location.

   I know that desktop-iconified-windows can have some extra visual
   clues to show that they are running (e.g. a 3D panel look) and that
   they can be made to line up along a screen edge, but then... you have
   a taskbar.

5. The KDE taskbar takes up the unused space in kicker and puts it to
   good use. There are other possible uses, of course, but I think
   a taskbar is the best for 99% of users.

> Would a well written re-implementation of iconification be accepted into
> kwin, or should i instead hack it using dcop (and patch kwin to allow a
> generic mechanism for the feature A above), or should I give up and use a
> different window manager?

You do not need to hack kwin at all. If you want iconified windows on
the desktop, hack kdesktop. But first figure out a way to distinguish
iconified windows and file icons. Or remove the capability to have file
icons. There is some reusable code in kicker/taskmanager/.

I doubt that you would find much support in making desktop-iconified-
-windows the default, but if you ask the kdesktop maintainer, perhaps
they will agree to a patch with a configurable option.  If not, you're
welcome to provide a replacement for kdesktop and distribute it
yourself.

Rik