List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2.2.1 memory management
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2001-10-03 21:05:05

On Wednesday, 3. October 2001 19:20, Lukas Tinkl wrote:

> Hehe yes, and what do you make of this? X using 102.4% percent of memory?
> That's at least misleading ;)
>
> PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT   %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
> 11703 lukas     17   0  9500 9500  7864 R    4.1  4.9    0:04 kdeinit
> 10593 root      15   0  190M 190M  2424 R    2.7  102.4  1:28 X

The output of top is mostly crap. For some processes like X, it's obvious -
for most other ones it's not. top shows the amount of mapped memory for the
process. For X, this also includes the graphics memory and registers. Then
top prints out how much this would be in relation to your physical main
memory. The same happens for apps that use dri e.g. for OpenGL rendering. In
fact, all additional memory or files or devices that are mapped into an apps
adress range will show a wrong value. So you can easily see that this value
is totally useless.

--
"If Windoze is the answer, can we please have the problem back?"