List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Identify a directory except with its name ?
From:       Ilya Konstantinov <kde-devel () future ! shiny ! co ! il>
Date:       2001-10-02 1:44:26

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 10:23:03PM +0200, aleXXX wrote:
> On Fri 28 Sep 01 16:48, Michael Häckel wrote:
> > I think, the best solution is always, to keep file names, URLs, config file
> > entries, etc. in English, but you have of course do it the way, the audiocd
> > maintainer decided to do it in the slave.
>
> I definitely agree, keep dir and file names untranslated.

I, on the other hand, disagree. The ultimate goal is to allow a user to
work completely in his own language. If my father doesn't know English,
no matter how simple the English string "By Name" is, he'll be stuck.

I therefore agree with the other suggestion, to have special directory
entry names (e.g. "by_name") which are not returned in regular
listDir()s, but are get()able and listDir()able when specified directly.
Those names would be described in the developers' documentation for
that specific KIO slave.

BTW, shouldn't it be
audiocd://device/files/?format=audio/vorbis&list=by_name, where the
items with strings such as i18n("By Name") would have a UDS_URL link to
the appropriate generator URL? Sounds much more fitting for the concept
of URLs. (Yes, the resulting URL looks a bit scary, so the "soft
redirection" someone has proposed about a month ago sounds like a good
idea -- so that the user will still see the friendly localized name in
the Location field).