List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Identify a directory except with its name ?
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-28 19:12:20

Ho,

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Kai Heitkamp wrote:
> >
> > I retrieved a audiocd:/ KFileItemList with KDirLister::openURL.
> > The names from CDDB was in directory 'By Names', on a german
> > KDE is that 'Nach Namen' ! Can I identify a directory
> > differently than with its name ? Otherwise, on a desktop with
> > another language, 'openURL' does not find this directory !

Shit, I knew somewhen someone was trying to do this ;-)

> I think there must be support in 'virtual' I/O slaves like the audio CD
> slave or digital camera slave for 'internal' names that are never visible
> from the GUI, but act as aliases for the GUI names. These internal names
> can then be untranslated.

Right, once I have a KDE pre-3 I'll add that.  The question is where those
untranslated names should be hidden: a) in a (hidden) directory, b) per
.dot names, or c) simply by not listing them in list().
(a) and (b) would be ugly to some extent, and (c) would make it difficult
to know the actual names without looking at the code.

Ciao,
Michael.