List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RFC: collecting important make warning messages
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () master ! kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-28 17:22:07

hi all,

some of us already discussed this on irc. our idea is to collect
important messages from the make process, so they can be output at
the end of the process, like configure does. in particular this is
interesting for "make install" as non-root, which fails in kdebase
because mkpamserv cannot write /etc, but there are surely other
applications.
the top-level makefile would export a variable with the location of
the log file and cat that file as the last action. lower-level makefiles
could invoke '<whatever-which-could-warn> 2>&1 | tee $(MSGFILE)' to put
interesting messages into this file.
that way we could be sure that the user does not miss important warnings
without aborting the make install.

opinions? volunteers to implement?

greetings

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.