List:       kde-devel
Subject:    [BUG] Event-Handling doesn't work correctly using a chooser (QT
From:       Martin Hoeller <martin () xss ! co ! at>
Date:       2001-09-27 12:50:14

Hi all!

Some time ago a sent a bug report to kde
(http://bugs.kde.org/db/30/30716.html) which I thought was a bug in the
host chooser.
Now that I did some more testing, I came to the decision, that the bug may
be in the QT library (I'm using 2.3.1).

Here is what I've tested so far:

For all tests I started an X-Server using the following line

  XFree86 -indirect dante

"dante" is the host on which kdm runs and starts the chooser program.
As chooser I used three different programms:

  - chooser from KDE 2.2.1 (QT based)
  - khostchooser (QT based)
	available from http://www.xss.co.at/linux/khostchooser/
  - chooser from X11 4.0.3 (based on pure X11 libraries)

The test I did was simply to choose a host (always localhost) by

  (a) selecting a host from the list an clicking "Accept"
  (b) double clicking a host from the list

Then entering username and password and selecting a session (kde2 or
fvwm2), and of course press enter to start the session.

The Result is as follows:

Using (a) works fine with every Chooser/Seesion.
Using (b) works fine only for the X11 chooser and always failes for both
QT-based choosers with every type of seesion.

"failes" means that the click event into a window doesn't reach the
window-manager as descibed in my original bug report mentioned above.

Any Ideas?

Thanks for reading.
 - martin