List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some thoughts on kdelibs et al.
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-09-25 22:46:31

On Montag, 24. September 2001 20:11 John Gluck wrote:

Hi,

> I am not suggesting that eveything be made public or protected. Also, I
> don't think that it is necessary to make every int or pointer available in
> the interface. I am suggesting that the developers of libraries consider
> the audience for their code.

I think mostly they do, but nobody's perfect. Speaking of the lineedit-dialog
example, IMHO every widget composed of other widgets should have accessors
(or even mutators) for all the child-widgets. A few days ago I fixed a line
in kwrite

((QLineEdit*)combobox->children()->first())->selectAll()

I.e. it worked around the missing accessor to the lineedit in (an older)
QComboBox and that even in a very unreliable way.

Cheers
Carsten Pfeiffer