List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposition
From:       Josef Spillner <dr_maux () maux ! de>
Date:       2001-09-20 6:37:22

On Wednesday 19 September 2001 16:02, John Hughes wrote:
> my idea:
> -Preview support for many different 3d formats.
> -A very nice 3D modeling application that comes standard with KDE
> -A 3d renderer

What's the difference for you between a renderer and a modeller? As for the
preview, there could be a generalized 3D widget which is capable of loading
different formats, and the modeller builds on it - otherwise a QGLWidget
contains everything you need. For example, a preview could contain a context
menu for zoom and rotation, while other viewers wouldn't need that
functionality, instead they need to toggle between points, lines and polygons.

> -a OpenGL Kpart
> 	-using this would be much like using a krayon kpart inside of Kwrite, you
> would get access to the toolbars of the 3d modeler and such.

Yep, that's a nice idea.

> -a 3d kioslave

I assume you want to use this for getting the 3D data out of different
media/formats. This is IMO not so easy, there are different representations
of the data itself, like tree structures or object-orientated ones. After
all, this is a point where it comes to pure math.

> I think having native 3d OpenGL support in a desktop environment would be a
> big factor in bringing in new users.

Definitively. It's one of the most requested features we get. But it does way
too much depend on the hardware, so you cannot easily integrate it within the
desktop where it's not necessary.

> How this could be useful:
> Games: very useful to have a 3d modeler for games

True. There are some for non-KDE yet like Vertex3d and pp, so to attract
artists at least this functionality should be provided. A 3D game doesn't
create itself from 3D objects though.

> I think this is an excellent time to start something like this. More and
> more people are getting 3d accelerator cards that can do DRI. I also think
> this would be an excellent thing to release with KDE3.0.

3.0? That's not a long time for these plans.

> I have already started playing around with QGL, and some ideas for
> rendering classes and such.
>
> What do you think?

Play around more :)
If such a modeller becomes usable, I'd be happy to contribute an example 3D
game (thinking about a time frame of about half a year here).
You should create a scratch page somewhere on the web where ideas can be
thrown in, to get a more detailed view on the planned projects. Think about
3D noatun visualization plugins, games (or maybe their map and characters
editors at first), CAD applications, 2-dimensional usage of OpenGL (an often
forgotten functionality), ...

Josef

--
The MindX Open Source Project: Fighting proprietary games
GGZ now! - The GGZ Gaming Zone: http://ggz.sourceforge.net