List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Animated Gif slows Konqueror down
From:       Simon Lindgren <simon () lindgren ! no>
Date:       2001-09-19 9:48:48

I reported this to the trolls, and got this reply from luke@trolltech.com:

>Looking at this gif in the gimp, its asking for an update every 0
>milliseconds, and this is exactly what the QMovie class is doing. If you try
>the same gif in netscape, then you will see the same effect.
>
>I cant really put a check in for this kind of broken gif because that could
>cause just as bad problems for correct gifs that want this kind of
>behaviour.
>I dont really have a solution for you other than to write to the author of
>the
>gif (usually not an option, I know) and tell him/her to fix it. Perhaps as a
>last line of defence konqueror could have some kind of filter to check for
>these things?

This problem is certainly annoying, making konqueror seem to "hang" on
certain webpages. Netscape also uses excessive CPU when viewing the .gif
in question (http://www.hotslash.com/ad.gif), but doesn't appear to stop
responding.

Would it be desirable to put in a safegard against such broken .gifs in
konqueror?

With regards,

--
Simon Lindgren