List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE devel on Debian
From:       Jay Oliveri <ilnero () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-09-15 20:01:21

On Friday 14 September 2001 03:00 pm, Warren Turkal wrote:
> I have a debian sid system, and I was wondering what is the best way
> to set up for development of KDE.  Note that I have kde packages
> installed and would like an easy way to switch between the
> precompiled stuff that works and the CVS tree.
>
> Thanks a bunch, Warren

Last time I tried using KDE Debian packages (KDE 2.1.1) I had less than
perfect results.  Since then I've been using the compiled sources from
CVS (not head, always the latest tagged branch).

Setting proper values for env var $KDEDIR (among others) will allow you
to run either the Debian packages or the compiled sources from CVS.
Relevant environment variables on my system are as follows.

First, the normal user which launches KDE from compiled sources:

KDEDIR=/usr/src/kde
PATH=/usr/src/kde/bin:/usr/src/kde/qt-copy/bin
QTDIR=/usr/src/kde/qt-copy
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/src/kde/qt-copy/lib:/usr/src/kde/lib

Then, the "other" user that launches the  Debian packaged version:

KDEDIR=/usr
PATH=/usr/lib/qt2/bin
QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt2

Hope this helps..

--
Jay Oliveri                                  "In the land of the blind,
GnuPG ID: 0x2EC6780C                          the one-eyed man is king."