List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: C/C++ Compiler for Windows
From:       Danie Roux <droux () tuks ! co ! za>
Date:       2001-09-14 11:38:56

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 09:19:33AM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> > This is *highly* offtopic (it also happened to me sometimes, so I'm not
> > blaming), but here are some clues:
> Yes I know it will happen just that time :-).
> >
> > - cygwin
> > - mingw32
> >
> > Try a google search to get links.
> >
> > Michael.
> >
> i found cygwin and mingw32. The difference between these are, that cygwin
> has more additional tools and a POSIX layer. Therefore i have to include a
> special dll in my apps...
> Please don't shelter me but what the hell is a POSIX layer?
>
> cheers,
> Raffaele

POSIX is a standard to which all Unices must comply. If you call the
system function fork () for example, it should act the same on all
platforms that is POSIX compliant. Linux is mostly POSIX compliant. More
so than commercial Unices I understand :-)

So the short answer is, you don't want cygwin for native Window apps.

What are you trying to do anyway?

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix