List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Broken installation
From:       Michael Brade <Michael.Brade () informatik ! uni-muenchen ! de>
Date:       2001-09-12 20:39:04

Hi!

On Wednesday 12 September 2001 21:26, Jonathan Belson wrote:
> I haven't been able to work on any of my KDE projects stuff
> recently since I can't persuade KDE to start up more than
> once every couple of dozen attempts
This is KDE 3.0pre + Qt 3pre, right? I had the same problem and I don't know
why it works sometimes and sometimes not. I'm using an i686 PC with Linux, so
this is no FreeBSD issue.

> I've tried reinstalling the relevent bits but I can't
> find what's broken.  Here's the error log:
>

> kdeinit: Launched DCOPServer, pid = 346 result = 0
> _KDE_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _KDE_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
> Cannot establish any listening sockets
> DCOPServer self-test failed.
> kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
> kdeinit: Launched DCOPServer, pid = 353 result = 0
> _KDE_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _KDE_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
> Cannot establish any listening sockets
> DCOPServer self-test failed.
> kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
> ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Can't setup DCOP communication.
> Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0".
> kdeinit: Launched DCOPServer, pid = 359 result = 0
> _KDE_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _KDE_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
> Cannot establish any listening sockets
> DCOPServer self-test failed.
> kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
> Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.
> connect() failed: : Connection refused
Yep, the last line is the same. Dunno about the other stuff, it didn't happen
to me the last days (and I didn't try that often since I still have a KDE 2.2
around ;).

Sorry for not being able to help, I just want to say "me too". If it happens
again, I'll post my error log if this is of any help.

Ciao,
  Michael

--

       Some operating systems are called `user friendly',
             Linux however is `expert friendly'.