List:       kde-debian-devel
Subject:    [devel] Re: Don't implement config functionality (hardcoding Config
From:       "C. Gatzemeier" <c.gatzemeier () tu-bs ! de>
Date:       2004-01-14 20:29:05

I had a look at the "guidance" config tools, are they the ones intended for
kde-debian?
I had a bad misnomer in my last respose, I'll try to clear that up:

Wrongly wrote:
> Certainly not. However if it would not be better than a tree of keys and
> values.

I am sorry, I meant:

_Even_ if config4gnu would not present more than keys and values to frontends,
or if a programmer does not want to make use of the provided forms and wizard
stuctures, it is still beneficial to use config4gnu as backend.

If you don't think so and are working on or intending to write and maintain a
config tool, I think the time spent grasping how well config4gnu is designed
is very worthwhile can actually save a real lot of time in the long run.

The more fun part of implementing cool frontends can stay but the work
implementing specifics should be put and shared in the CFG layer between
apps.

I think SWIG can easily provide python bindings for CFG, it already generates
them for perl.

Cheers,
Christian