List:       kde-debian-devel
Subject:    [devel] Kapture UI, libkapture
From:       "Peter Rockai (mornfall)" <mornfall () logisys ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2004-01-14 11:36:18

Hello!
[this is addressed at domi, but i believe it might be of general interest
also, so i post it to this list]
Well, i don't quite like the super-ultra-easy way you imagine the UI. You may
want to create eg. easypart/ and hack your "imagined UI" here, as long as you
don't break the other UIs. No objections here. However, in libkapture, i
*will* maintain multi-document nature. You can essentially bypass it by not
using back/forward functionality of kapturemanager. But i strongly advise you
to also use libkapture, not only libcapture. I think of libkapture like this:
- it has widgets for showing individual packages, either in simple or advanced
  fashion (these are all DetailView implementations):
  - simple: shows long description, installed and latest version, checkbox "i
    want this package" and that's about it
  - advanced: everything the simple view has + dependency and
    reverse-dependency info, pin editor, architecture, section and other
    interesting stuff
  - group: like simple, but not for individual package, but for whole groups
    of packages, showing total size, number of packages, maybe list of
    individual packages on an advanced tab/page and of course installation
    button/checkbox/whatever
  - overall: shows overall data about all the packages, provides upgrade,
    distUpgrade, update and alike
- it has (at least) two PkgView implementation:
  - traditional tree-view (heavily customizable via grouper customization UI)
  - the easy iconview, showing, if you want, GenericName, Name (needed IMO),
    short description and maybe "i want this package" checkbox
Extending libcapture in a way to allow adding PkgTreeGroup (analog to
PkgTreeItem and PkgSubTree at once) to PkgTree and also corresponding
groupers for this concept or some other, analogous way of achieving this, and
makeing all PkgView implementations able to show such groups as,
configurably, either unopenable or openable, but selectable items. This makes
it really easy (IMVHO) to implement the kind of interface you want. You just
need to combine the easy iconview with unopenable PkgTreeGroup viewing style,
the group DetailsView and suitable grouper (you should implement this in
libcapture) using the metadata format you prefer.
In the meantime (while there isn't enough libcapture and libkapture
functionality), i would be glad if you could help with your favourite
features mentioned above. If no, then you can either fork to get what you
want sooner (but in IMO less flexible fashion) or wait for me to finish it.

Also, i'd like to clarify the PkgView and DetailView concepts. My UIs are
going to provide two containers, one for PkgView (or arbitrary number
thereof) and DetailView (alike). You can of course combine them in other
ways, tie them together on one parent widget and so on. But i enjoy the
freedom this lends me, so please, do not hardcode such things in libkapture:
this is clearly frontend business. Also, kmdi has concept of tool and
document views. The DetailView fits nicely to document view and PkgView as
tool view: if you tie them together, i can't make them so. And if you don't
want, you don't have to use both: each should be stand-alone enough to work
without the other.

Yours,
    Peter

PS: I apologize for a bit harsh reply last time (with regard to sucking). I
was short on time and bit upset... d'oh... So i didn't even read well what
i've read, hitting send and walking away. Also you, referring to "my long
term vision of kapture", didn't exactly made my day (it made me feel somewhat
unimportant, you know; hint: saying "our" instead of "my" would made things a
lot better :p). But hey, we are all humans... Also, regarding the "Kapture
UI" e-mail, i only looked on screenshots and not the patch, so i (falsely)
assumed you hacked detailsview as child of PkgListView. So the patch was
quite correct (again, apologies on my part), but still i won't apply it onto
part/. I think easypart/ or something like that would be mora appropriate.
You might want to copy part/ over and hack on it to your likings. This way, i
can hack on my vision and you on yours, hopefully not stepping on each others
toes. And we can share as much code as possible.

--
Peter Rockai (mornfall), mornfall()logisys!dyndns!org, mornfall.homeip.net