List:       kde-debian-devel
Subject:    Re: [devel] Smb4K
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2004-01-05 23:10:34

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 04 January 2004 06:37, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>>I just found out about this project:
>>
>>    http://smb4k.berlios.de/info.html
>

> neat, but not a good solution for users. a stand alone tool for admins that
> configures samba, manages online shares, allows mounting of shares on remote
> KDE systems, provides views of shares by various parameters (by user, by
> physical location, by usage, by...) etc. would be great.

True.

So we could try to contact the author, and invite him to start such
a project (or modify his) inside the KDE umbrella, no? It seems that
he has quite some knowledge and expertise about Samba-related stuff.
And additional attraction to him may be that his stuff would become
fodder of some dozen translation teams, very soon. Currently he has
3 or 4 languages only...

My experience is, that sometimes people outside KDE develop extremely
good stuff, but they are too shy to approach KDE, which seems so big,
so successful, so.... unreachable far from them.

We should start to extend our hands to people like that. Sometimes we
might even succeed with recruiting a very good developer...

> users need little more than what can be done in a file manager. KDE's smb
> browsing currently lacks the ability to say "(permanently) map this share
> locally" (aka mount it).

This tool does it. AFAIK.

Cheers,
Kurt