List:       kde-debian-devel
Subject:    [devel] Re: Proposal for packaging work: using CDBS
From:       Daniel Stone <daniel () fooishbar ! org>
Date:       2003-12-26 3:48:44

On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 01:00:28PM +1100, Ben Burton wrote:

> > So, i have a proposal to handle the packaging using CDBS (Common Debian Build
> > System).
> > Other DD's (or prospective DD's): anyone has comments on this?
>
> Certainly I don't want to see the debian packaging forked.  This
> happened during the KDE2 -> KDE3 transition, and the result was a
> terrible mess with broken upgrades and people having to do massive
> uninstalls and reinstalls of their entire KDE in order to upgrade
> to newer packages from the usual debian servers.

There was a four or five way fork:
  * My reasonably-well-publicised packages;
  * Chris's unpublicised packages, which is what we ended up using;
  * Karolina's packages, which were altogether too well publicised;
  * I think orth had some packages at this time, too.

It *SUCKED*, and I'd really like to avoid seeing that happen again.

> My other thought is that I don't see a good reason to repackage KDE
> for debian if it's already been packaged and works well.  The results
> are the same for end users (i.e., working debian packages), so the
> only reason for moving to CDBS would be to make things easier
> for the packagers.  If you can convince me that moving to CDBS would
> offer significant advantages that would compensate for the effort
> required to make this large-scale change, I'm open to arguments. :)

I think the proposal should be taken to debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org,
so the maintainers concerned can all see it, and then decide for
themselves.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel@fooishbar.org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,