List:       kde-debian
Subject:    OT: Teaching software development with Free Software tools
From:       Juan Luis Baptiste <juan.baptiste () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-11-03 5:13:21

Hi,

Sorry to ask here for this, but I think I can get a lot of very good feedback
on this topic here.

I'm currently working part-time as a teacher in the University where I
studied, and as they know about some of my free software projects, I was asked
if I wanted to teach another course about software development with Free
Software tools  the next semester, (of couse I said yes inmediatedly :)).

For me this is a very important issue, I see this as a great oportunity to
promote free software development here in Colombia, something that it's near
to zero here, sadly I think I can count with the fingers in my hands the
number of free software projects born here. I'm not an expert in software
development with free software tools, I have beed developing free software
for less than three years (sporadically), but I think I can share the little
I have learned with the students that want to get involved (as the course is
optional, the people that register to it are interested in learning free
software development). Luckyly, my University is starting to see the
importance of free software and want to do something to contribute to it.

Here is where I need your help, I have to build the course contents, and I
want to be sure I'm including all the relevant subjects. And as I'm a KDE
developer, I think I can give a little emphasis to Qt/KDE programming to the
course and it's projects :) (without tying it to this technologies) this
leaves me to another thing, if this course becomes a reallity, it could be a
good opportunity to have some extra hands (about five or six for around four
months or more, if they stick around:) ) for KDE/kalyxo
development :) so also it would be nice to hear about project ideas I could
assign to my students during the course.

Does anybody know about an existing course catalog I can use? What I have
thinked of until now:

* The philosophy behind free software and it's development .
* Shell programming
* Perl programming (don't know anything, I'll have to learn)
* Python programming (don't know anything, I'll have to learn)
* Introduction to C++ (now they teach almost everything in java, just a little
C at the beginning, so they learn little C++)
* POSIX threads ?(don't know anything, I'll have to learn)
* Free software tools:
- The GNU C/C++ compiler, gcc
- The GNU debuger, gdb
- Compilation of UNIX applications (./configure;make;make install; etc)
- The autotools (autconf,automake,etc)
- Software managment with CVS
- Development toolkits (Qt. GTK+,wxWindows, etc)
- Emphasis in Qt libs
- KDevelop and QtDesigner
- KDE libraries and their technologies

The course should have around 64 hours during 16 weeks, four hours weekly with
at least two of those four hours being of actual development, plus 64 more
hours of stimated individual student work. I hope this is enought time to
work on all of these subjects.

I hope you can give me useful suggestions about how to improve the course !

Cheers and thanks in advance!
--
Juan Luis Baptiste
http://www.merlinux.org