List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: Debian Desktop... but which Debian on my Desktop...
From:       Christoph Wiesen <chris () deadhand ! com>
Date:       2004-10-03 10:06:27

Am Sunday, 3. October 2004 11:48 schrieb Christoffer Sawicki:
> > Some things I'd change as well are
>
> > - move the show-desktop icon right next to the K-Menu icon
>
> Why? I've positioned them that way to have some balance in their sizes.
Just old habits. On Win systems this icon is mostly to the far left of the
quicklaunch bar next to the start button. When I set up KDE systems for other
I always move it there to avoid it beeing moved when they add their own apps
to kicker. It's just that the K and Desktop Icons ave a bit of a static feel
to me (i.e. they are not changed by the user) and therefor are to the far
left, to avoid any unintentional changes.

> > - adding a Virtual Desktop Pager (with only two VDs), since it looks
> > quite cool in KDE 3.3.... oh and for the added functionality ;)
>
> I believe virtual desktops are confusing at start for most users.
>
> > - add the date to the clock and make the font for the time a bit
> > bigger/bold (date would be quite a bit smaller than time is now)
>
> I don't see why the date has to be shown all the time.
> After all, it does only change once a day.
Good point ;)

At the beginning I found both (Virtual Desktops and the displayed time) to be
very convenient and just like Konqueror those little things made me really
love this new OS and it's functionality. Maybe part of that will get lost if
too much is disabled by default because people might not want to play around
and see "what else there is" in the beginning.

That said, don't get me wrong -  I can absolutely understand the intention to
keep it simple and don't want to stop you :)
I think it's a good idea as long as it doesn't take away from experienced
users - like some other DEs are accused to do.

Christoph Wiesen