List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: famd: how important is it?
From:       Ralph Alvy <ralvy () warpmail ! net>
Date:       2004-08-25 0:41:27

David Robin wrote:

> Ralph Alvy wrote:
>> How important is it that I have famd running in the background? At
>> least once a day I have to reset it with
>>
>>         /etc/init.d/fam restart
>>
>> to keep my CPU from being used 100% by it.
>
> Is it taking much memory ressources? Maybe there is a memory leak?
> Which version of fam are you using?
I have since uninstalled it with no problems. Usenet groups are
replete with references to famd taking up 100% cpu quite frequently,
with no solution other than to uninstall it. What I have been doing
until recently is running

 /etc/init.d/fam restart

whenever I saw the cpu monitor hit 100% for no good reason. But I got
tired of having to do that. I tried both the testing and unstable
versions.