List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Problems migrating from RedHat/KDE to Debian/KDE
From:       James Sinnamon <jaymz () bigpond ! net ! au>
Date:       2004-06-29 9:52:33

Dear KDE/Debian users,

I have a Red Hat 9.0 system.  My (new) RedHat System runs a KDE with
a version number  a bit less than the version number of KDE running
on my (new) Debian Sarge system.

I am trying to migrate to a Debian/Sarge system using all the same
/home/* subdirectories, but I am running into problems on two fronts:

1. (new) Debian/Sarge system Problems.
I am not able to keep the same resolution as I can on my Redhat system.  My
Debian system seems to only achieve 800x600, whilst my existing RedHat
achieves  1024x768.

Some features seem to be inexplicably missing in Debian KDE, for example
in Konsole, I can't find the tab icon size context sensitive menu.  (I prefer
the smallest possible icon size to preserve desktop space.)

2.  (old) RedHat system Problems.

I have lost  access to my desktop menus.  When I click on the spot where my
menu used to be located, I get the message:

   "failed to read Directory".

(It may be problems with permissions, because the new account number did
not, at first match the old, but I can't see the obvious blace to look other
than somewhere in ${HOME}/.kde/.

So I would greatly appreciate any thoughts about how to go about
preserving all the resolution, performance and other settings
so that my Debian KDE system is at least an improvement on
my RedHat/KDE system.

Any Recommended Tutorial/Documentary Matereial?

After many years, I still find all of X Windows and KDE
etc completely overwhelming.  From where I stand it's complexity
seems to approach that of neuroscience.

Are there any good online documentary resources which could explain
how X Windows and KDE fit together?  I would like to be able to understand
how the Menu structures and other settings relate to files and directory
structures.

TIA

James Sinnamon

--