List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: back from LinuxTag...
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2004-06-28 10:19:02

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> ... where we had once again the same problem: the installation on the demo
> boxes.
>
> This time the boxes where plain suse 9.1 with kde 3.2.1, with a very limited
> amount of installed applications (kdevelop only on the development demo
> machine, koffice only on the koffice demo machine, no gcc on some machines
> etc.) Suse comes with all these packages, so in some way the problem is
> caused by the people who installed the boxes, not the used distro.
>
> But this happened everytime until now when I was working on a KDE booth.
> Everytime a different distro, a different set of installed applications,
> sometimes HEAD, sometimes stable, usually no demo files to work  with (some
> files for koffice, some mails, some data for korganizer, addresses, ....).
> So I often had to say to visitors: "well, if this or that would be installed
> on this machine, I could show you how cool it is, but the installation sucks,
> so I can't". This sucks.
>
> So one thing which would be really good to have, would be an "official KDE
> demo point installation cd/dvd", which would need to have the following
> features:
> -both the KDE head branch and the KDE stable branch installed, selectable by
> selecting a different user when logging in
> -all kde cvs modules, if possible also from the extragear
> -openoffice with kde style
> -mozilla with kde look
> -non kde-cvs stuff: kplayer, kmplayer, kio_fuse ;-), karamba, kaffeine,
> amarok, krusader, scribus, ...
> -xmms, mplayer, xine, gimp, others ?
> -development environment (gcc and friends, cvs, vim, emacs, joe, kdevelop, qt
> designer, ...)
>
> and *very* important: a selection of files to demo:
> -some documents for kword, kspread, kpresenter, openoffice
> -some pictures for kuickshow, gimp
> -some videos for kplayer, kmplayer
> -some music files for juk, noatun
> -some postscript and some pdf files for showing the embedding
> -some emails, addresses, todo lists for the kdepim apps
>
> So what do you think ?
> Is this something we can get done here ?

We had (most of the time) also access to a remote SuSE-9.1
application server, running both KDE-3.2.3 as well as KDE-HEAD
(KDE-HEAD didnt have a single crash while visitors were looking
at it, BTW).

The secret: It was accessed via an NX Client

Problem No. 1: The NX client wasnt installed on all the demo
                points (whereas it was promised).

Problem No. 2: Most KDE people were not at all aware of NX and
                how it could be used for KDE demos.

Problem No. 3: The network (internal as well as external) wasnt
                very reliable.

For the next public KDE demos and booths we can easily overcome
Problem No. 1. Due to "kNX Client" and "FreeNX Server" (to be
hosted at www.kalyxo.org once they are released) Problem No. 2
will also vanish. Problem No. 3 we will overcome by bringing
along one pre-installed big box (eliminates external network
problems)....

> It would help kde really a lot.

True.

Especially the point of having a selection of "demo files" is
extremely important. I suggest to even create a section in CVS
for this (maybe it should be in the "promo" department somewhere).

These demo files definitely shouldnt be just hurriedly created
drafts, but should be showcaseing the best features you can apply
with the respective application. We should be able to mail a doc
to the visitor if he requests it....

I also sourly missed a decent bookmarks.xml file on all the
konquerors running at the demo point. Or a startup page in
konqi pointing to "aKademy"... Or.... Well, I volunteer to do
these 3 things for the next KDE public demo booth:

* prepare a publically accessible KDE/NX application server
   running both, "last stable" and "current HEAD" of KDE (in
   different user accounts).

* prepare a generic "bookmarks.xml" file to be installed on
   all demo points and put it into CVS.

* conduct a briefing for all KDE volunteers manning booth and
   demo points.

> Bye
> Alex

Cheers,