List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: [devel] Opinions for network interface configuration dialog
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2004-05-18 17:34:42

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 18:54, Kévin 'ervin' Ottens wrote:
> Le mardi 18 Mai 2004 18:39, Otto Kekäläinen a écrit :
> > > http://knetworkconf.sourceforge.net/Screenshots/0.6/kaddDeviceDlg4.png
> >
> > I think this is the best option, bootp is not (never?) used in normal
> > desktop machiners. (of course, the manual options should become disabled
if
> > DHCP is selected)
>
> It's my favorite too...
>
> About the bootp protocol, it's never used by the "mythic average "user so no
> need to have it on the dialog IMHO. But of course it is important to support
> it for thin clients! It is just that it's not needed in GUI.

not quite. If the machine booted off bootp and I go to knetworkconf then I
expect (demand!) to be told what the network settings are, even if it is
bootp!

ASCII-o-vision:

TCP/IP address:
  [ ] Automatic [DHCP |V]
  [*] Manual
        IP:     [192.168.1.1___]
        Netmask:[255.255.255.0_]

[ ] Enable during startup

Notes:

* IP and netmask belong _under_ the radiobutton for Manual (because the Manual
radiobutton 'unlocks' the IP and netmask input fields)

* Put 'bootp' in the same pulldown as DHCP, but make DHCP the default. (this
will kind of hide bootp a bit and make the dialog smaller.)

* Wording changes.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/