List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: kalyxo status?
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2004-05-17 6:52:30

Hello all,

On Sunday 16 May 2004 18:11, Patrick Dreker wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 16. Mai 2004 13:40 schrieb Peter Rockai (mornfall):
> > On Sunday 16 May 2004 13:27, Christoffer Sawicki wrote:
> > > Isn't there a gamma tool in KDE 3.2?
> > There is: Settings -> Peripherals -> Display, the "Monitor Gamma" tab.
> And on another Tab there is "Size and Orientation", which I also saw is
> duplicated in the screenshots at

Ok, I'll explain what is going on before too much confusion spreads. :)

Originally I was planning to add a totally separate XFree86-config tool that
would probably go under the System section. It would allow you to tweak XFree
(view and select gfx card and monitor etc) and also set the default screen
size, rate etc. I ran this idea past the guys on #kde-nl along with some
mockups about how it would look in the end. Fab was brave enough to the make
the comment "that's real unix-geek thinking you know". And after a little bit
of thinking I agreed fully. Having two places for configuring the screen only
makes sense to unix-geeks. So the current plan is to build a display tool
that works for normal users but also has the extra functionality that
requires root (eg setting the default screen size etc, modifying the hardware
settings/XFree settings).

Now, usuability is probably my number one priority for this project (and
usually everything else I make). The current Display and Gamma tabs in KDE
fail my usability goal, which is the primary reason why they have been
redone. The screen size tab will now demonstrate what it is talking about
instead of the user having to guess and use "trial and error". The gamma tab
doesn't let you just twiddle with the gamma setting, but actually provides a
simple way of calibrating your monitor to match a desired gamma setting (such
as 1.8 or 2.4, 2.0 is the default) so that colours on your monitor match
other people's monitors. People who don't understand what gamma is will also
be able use this tool to correct their monitor without needing to understand
the technical details. (The calibration system comes from this page:
http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm )

Keep in mind that displayconfig is not complete yet. Any questions?

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/