List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: kalyxo status?
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2004-05-15 19:53:29

On Saturday 15 May 2004 15:01, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> > I'm still slugging away on my utility stuff (although it is not Kalyxo
> > specific per se). Here are some more screenshots:
> >
> > http://www.simonzone.com/software/guidance/#screenshots
> >
> > mount configuration and display configuration in the works.
>
> Nice work indeed! :) These are really features the desktop is missing.

Well that's the whole idea really.

> I assume that Guidance is fully compatible with Debian. How have you made
it?
> Is it easy to get working on all distros? Is it dependent of some linux base
> standard..?

It is written in Python using the PyQt and PyKDE bindings to Qt and KDE. I
will be importing a copy of PyQt and PyKDE to kde-bindings soons. Guidance is
in an alpha quality state right now. I'm developing on Mandrake. I installed
Debian sarge on my PII box recently and Debian support will be added when I
move towards a testing cycle. Here is a break down:

userconfig: almost feature complete. The dependancy on the Redhat/Mandrake
centric libuser library is now gone and is replaced with a python module. The
module only supports local passwd and shadow password files. LDAP will
probably need to be implemented, but it should not be hard. Needs testing.

serviceconfig: Feature complete.

mountconfig: Mostly feature complete. Would be nice if it directly supported
some more FS types, and some GUI areas could be better. I need to start
testing it on my real fstab file (scary).

displayconfig: In progress now. 50% feature complete. THe boring code stuff
has been mostly worked out though. It features an easy to use monitor gamma
calibration system that found on the web (copyrights have been organised!)

Once displayconfig is implemented I'll move towards testing and polishing what
I've got. Also making sure it works well on Debian.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/