List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: OT: Debian questions
From:       Achim Bohnet <ach () mpe ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2004-04-23 13:36:43

On Friday 23 April 2004 03:43, Thomas Corriher wrote:
> Everyone here is an expert in Debian, I presume.  I should be
> moving to Debian in the near future, I hope.  Manually updating
> through source and personally handling all the associated
> dependencies on a Red Hat distribution is consuming enormous
> amounts of my time.  As a paying customer, and someone who
> tirelessly provided free marketing for them, along with a great
> deal of user support over the years, I do passionately resent Red
> Hat's new leadership for dumping us -- after we were finally able
> to help them to become profitable.  All this new work continually
> reminds me of how we were spit in the face.  Perhaps Debian
> should get a new slogan like:
>
>    "Debian -- because we can't trust the corporate bastards."
>
> Perhaps I am being too gentle.  What do you think?
>
> Anyway... I have a couple of newbie questions:
>
> 1 - Which version of Debian should I get?  Newer software would
> help with compatibility issues with not included applications,
> but security is my highest priority.

_These weeks_ I would suggest testing (sarge). Until you're used to
the Debian way, sarge will the the new stable release (at least almost).
Then you can enjoy the stability of debian and the security fixes.
Unstable and testing are currently similar enough that it's easy to use
security fixes from unstable in testing.

> 2 - What is the best source of Debian information for a
> struggling newbie?  In other words, what do you people do when
> you need help?

I found the debian policy manual very valuable.  With it and a bit
of linux/unix background you'll quickly feel at home on debian.

You'll then also  know why we love debian and why _official_ debian
pkgs often take a bit longer but they are worth it.

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com