List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Packaging effort...
From:       Achim Bohnet <ach () mpe ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2004-04-05 22:16:23

On Monday 05 April 2004 19:15, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> ervin  writes:
>
> > kdebindings (work in progress by Dominique Devriese)
>
> As for my status: this is almost done.  Not included is a lot of
> non-functional code like dcopperl, xparts, dcopc, and qtsharp,
> korundum and qtruby ( for the last two, the situation is better in
> HEAD ).  I still need to look at qtobjc, but currently, it's also not
> included yet.
>
> Included are koala, qtjava, dcopjava, dcoppython, kjsembed, and
> smoke.
>
> I hope to add qtobjc in the short term, and pykde, pyqt ( hi simon :)
> ), and korundum and qtruby in the long term ( for KDE 3.3 or 4.0, that
> is ).
>
> > In my opinion, our policy should be to have our package available as
> > soon as possible in our repository, and then take the time to
> > migrate them in debian.
>
> I don't understand why this should be our policy.  What is the
> advantage of not adding stuff to the debian repository directly, if
> it is easily possible ?

Sooner or laaaaater sarge will freeze and new pkgs or updated pkgs,
even if one finds an sponsor, will not be able to enter sarge.

I hope that kalyxo will be 'the' repository to pick up new and
updated kde pkgs for sarge, as well as sid pkgs that did not
make it yet into sid.

What's the procedure to be able to upload KDE pkgs?  I would like
to upload at least kisdnwatch and maybe kimdaba.  kdebluetooth
is another candidate but I have to coordinate with upstream first.

As a start I would suggest to create

	deb http://???.kalyxo.org/debian {experimental,sid} kalyxo

I left out sarge here because currently one can use KDE 3.2.1 from
sid without problems in sarge.  In case 3.2.?
will not make it sarge we should contact Ralf about his backporting
plans and populate sarge on kalyxo.org as fast as possible ;)

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com