List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: KDE wins ! :-)
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2004-03-25 22:47:08

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>

> ok, the subject was chosen to get your attention. But it has some background:
> German: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/45991
> Google translation: http://tinyurl.com/3gp6c
>
> This list has been quite silent in the last weeks.
> We started with a lot of enthusiasm and big ideas, I'd say too big ideas.

I disagree.   ;-)

> I hope the people are still around and will read this.
>
> So, now let's go for something we can actually achieve.
>
> The starting point was UserLinux from BP, which will be a no-Qt/KDE distro.
> UL basically consists of meta packages.
>
> I'd say we don't have the man power (yet) to create an enterprise grade
> distibution ourselves, but we can do a lot do improve the KDE experience ;-)
> in debian based distros, including UL.
>
> So I suggest the following:

[....]

> -let's keep the work on the live-cd going
> -maybe let's create a special kde distro cd for demoing KDE at fairs, with
> bleeding edge KDE, all the coolest hacks,

I'm currently in negotiations with several contacts to get a big,
fast, large-RAM machine (with required bandwidth/connectivity)
sponsored which can be used to demo latest-stable and latest-HEAD
KDE per remote access. I am pretty sure to succeed within the next
6-8 weeks. It will have the NX server (http://www.nomachine.com/)
at first, and later the GPL'ed server implementation of NX's
technology installed.

What we need:

* a (team of) administrator(s) to keep that server current
   with nightly compiled KDE builts and regularly chack that
   boxe's logs and security

* a way to automatically create time-expiring test accounts
   for casual users and permanent ones for developers.

To see how well (or not well) this could work, get yourself
the NX client software (free as in beer) from

    http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

and a valid account from

    http://www.nomachine.com/testdrive.php

If you are unsure how to start a connection, see here:

    http://www.nomachine.com/usage.php

Be aware that the two testdrive servers offered above are
running standard RedHat 8 and Fedora Core 1, respectively
so they aren't a particularly good address to showcase KDE
at its best....

Please note, that your first session will initially be slow.
It starts to speed up (to a certain limit) with each menu
you let pop up....  Each program you start is faster the
second time you start it.  (Normal office work doesn't need
more than 40 kBit/second in bandwidth).

Remember, NoMachine.com are one of the companies who signed
our "strategy.html" paper. They continue to support KDE's
integration of NX technology into our next release. They
continue to offer a free (as in beer) permanant copy of NX
server to all KDE (and other Free Software) developers.

Cheers,
Kurt