List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: KPkgManager
From:       Sylvain Joyeux <sylvain.joyeux () m4x ! org>
Date:       2004-03-24 18:44:26

I totally agree on this one. The fact is that it is feasible _and easy_ to
do it on kpkgmanager. KHTML and kio-apt do most of the job for presenting
the info, and I can now, using the current architecture, what packages are
to be changed by the upgrade.

About the uselessness of kio-apt (against apt-cache), the (user) advices I
had about kio-apt, and my daily use, show me that they prefer to use
kio-apt. I didn't write it for the sake of writing a ioslave. I wrote it
because I found it useful.

> As for the browser: the browser implemented in libcapture (ie, the
> backend part of it) is quite flexible. It provides everything apt-cache
> does,  but installation and "management" is only a click away.
Same here. Kpkgmanger is kept simple because I want to have it launched
permanently on the system. Kio-apt provides installation,removal,on-demand
upgrade, ...

> Stumbled upon
> package you want? Check a checkbox and you are done. Are you curious
> what changes to system will be done? Select "changed" [*] filter in
> browser and look at packages that will change their state.
Well, one more time, it's very doable with the frontend/backend
architecture. I'll definitely have to look at that, but is it really only
a filter ? You do compute the upgrade, don't you ?

> There are
> many things browser gives you, even if you don't use it in the
> "straightforward" way. And apt-cache like program or kio is a snap: just
> load libcapture, let it build the filters, get the resulting tree and
> format it as you like.
I never said libcapture was useless. I /know/ that parsing apt-cache output
was the ugly way of doing it. But the fact is here : it is available and
works. Now, I totally agree that doing it using libapt-pkg (with
libcapture) is cleaner.

> Well, frontend for pinning needs a package browser or something
> equivalent first. Setting pins by name is about as comfortable as doing
> it with text editor.
Once more, you HAVE the package browser. Doing package pinning or something
like that from kio-apt is not too difficult either.
--
Sylvain Joyeux