List:       kde-debian
Subject:    KNetworkConf 0.5 released
From:       Juan Luis Baptiste <juan.baptiste () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-02-24 23:04:16

We are pleased to announce the release of KNetworkConf 0.5 final!

KNetworkConf it's a tool to configure Network settings under KDE in a simple
and intuitive way. It has the following features:

* Configure installed network devices (you can't add new ones for now) in
basic and advanced mode (ie. don't auto configure broadcast and netmask
values).
* Configure the default gateway and gateway device.
* Configure host and domain names.
* Add/remove DNS servers (/etc/resolv.conf).
* Add/Remove known Hosts (/etc/hosts).

KNetworkConf uses the Gnome System Tools (gst)
(http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/) network backend to find out the network
values in a platform-independient manner. This backends are a bunch of perl
scripts that use XML files to communicate with different frontends. Thanks to
gst, KNetworkConf runs in  Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSe, Debian, PLD Linux, Black
Panther and TurboLinux. Fedora Core 1 it's not officially supported by gst at
the moment, but it has been reported to run by choosing Red Hat 9 as the
plattform.

NOTE:You don't need to have GNOME nor GST installed AT ALL to run
KNetworkConf. The network backend comes included with it.

If you want to see KNetworkConf working in more platforms like FreeBSD or
Solaris, don't ask me but the gst team
(http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/team.html) , or better, help them adding
support for new platforms to the network backend. The backend is made in
perl, so I suppose for any person with perl experience (I don't have any)
will not have much of a trouble working with it.

ChangeLog:

* From 0.5beta2:
- Added german (Christoph Eckert) and hungarian (Karoly Barcza from
BlackPanther Linux) translations.
- Updated all translations.
- Added first version of the user manual by Christoph Eckert in english,
german and spanish (Jaime Torres and me).
- Fixed some bugs (me).

=========
Homepage:
=========

http://knetworkconf.sf.net

=========
Downloads:
=========

* Sources:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/knetworkconf/knetworkconf-0.5.tar.bz2?download

* Mandrake 9.1 and 9.2 rpm's:
- 9.2:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/knetworkconf/knetworkconf-0.5-1mdk.i586.rpm?download
- 9.1:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/knetworkconf/knetworkconf-0.5-1mdk9.1.i586.rpm?download
-Source:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/knetworkconf/knetworkconf-0.5-1mdk.src.rpm?download

* Debian packages:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/knetworkconf/knetworkconf_0.5final-0qerub1_i386.deb?download

The packages will be added to urpmi (Mandrake contribs) and apt repostories
(KDE-Debian). Please be pending of the project homepage to know when they are
ready.

Cheers,
--
Juan Luis Baptiste