List:       kde-debian
Subject:    [devel] Re: Issue with KDE 3.2 Debian Woody package dependencies
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-02-07 23:44:59

On Saturday 07 February 2004 18:53, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope you are the right person to contact, since I don't have too much
> time to follow all the KDE mailing lists etc. Please forward this if there
> is someone else maintaining the Debian Woody backport.
>
> I upgraded my Debian box at work from KDE 3.1.4 to 3.2. It went mostly
> well (I had to remove and add again all the applications in the kicker,
> but that was not big deal) The bigger issue was that the screensaver and
> desktop lock wouldn't work. I figured on my own that that was due missing
> kdm in my installation (required some googling, and I got the hint from
> changelog, not something that Joe Average would be able to find out
> without help). KDM wasn't needed in 3.1.x, but apparently
> new kscreensaver uses it in unlocking the screen. After 'apt-get install
> kdm' everything worked fine.
>
> So my suggestion is to put kscreensaver depend on kdm.

Actually this isn't a woody backport specific problem, it applies to Debian's
packaging of kdebase in general.

I'm not entirely sure what's the best solution here. I guess the two options
are making kdebase-bin depend on kdm or just recommending it. Thinking about
it, my opinion is a dependency.

The best thing is probably to file a bugreport at bugs.debian.org for the
kdebase-bin package, which is the one containing the screensaver binaries. On
the other hand this problem is new with KDE 3.2, which isn't in the debian
archive, yet, making it less a reason to file a bugreport against a
non-existing version. I'm CC'ing kde-debian-devel, in hope for input/feedback
from the Debian maintainers.

Simon